The Mosque of Omar, located at the corner of Paul VI Street and Manger Square, was built in 1860 in honor of Caliph Omar Ibn Al-Khattab, who in the 7th century conquered the Byzantine Empire. The Caliph prayed in the southern aisle of the Basilica of the Nativity, however, in the Pact of Omar, he decreed that the Basilica would remain a Christian place of worship. The document stipulated that Muslims would be allowed to pray there only individually and prohibited the call to prayer (al-Adhan) from being made from the church walls.
The Mosque was originally a small and modest building; however, in 1953 the Jordanian government sponsored renovations. Again in 2004, the Emirati Association reconstructed the Mosque after it was damaged during the Second Intifada (2000 – 2005).
Opening Hours: Every day from 4:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m. (except during prayer times)
Location: Manger Square, Bethlehem